FIREPLACE, CHIMNEY INSPECTION SERVICES
A SWEEP ACROSS THE BAY
Fireplace and Chimney Inspections are the most important part of the job we provide our customers. A Sweep Across the Bay here in Sarasota has experienced inspectors on staff to provide a thorough check.
Chimney or Fireplace inspections are also known as condition reports, fireplace inspections, or inspection reports. A fireplace chimney inspection provides visual detection of age and use, as well as wear and tear, which if not tended to, can cause costly fireplace chimney repairs or unsafe conditions.
- Code 211 of NFPA (Nation Fire Protection Association) recommends an annual inspection of all chimneys, fireplaces, and vents.
- An inspection is required upon the sale or transfer of a property, per CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America).
- Each year unsafe fireplaces & chimneys cause significant numbers of injuries and deaths and account for more than $200 million in property losses.
- Your fireplace & chimney system is an important part of your home heating system. Make fireplace & chimney examinations a regular part of your home maintenance schedule.
- For safe and efficient operation, your fireplace & chimneys should be inspected and serviced annually by one of our chimney sweeps. Our technician will verify that your fireplace & chimneys are free of obstruction and combustible deposits.
DEPENDING ON THE ISSUE, A SWEEP ACROSS THE BAY HAS A THREE LEVEL INSPECTION PROCESS.
LEVEL I INSPECTION
This inspection is recommended when your fireplace, chimney, and venting system are easily accessible and when you are planning to maintain its current use. In general, this level of inspection is performed in most homes. In a Level I inspection, our technician will verify that your fireplace & chimney structures are sound, free of obstructions, and combustible deposits, such as creosote.
LEVEL II INSPECTION
The addition of a new home heating appliance or a change in the type of fuel you are burning requires a Level II inspection. This inspection level is also required upon the sale or transfer of a property or after an operating malfunction or external event that is likely to have caused damage to your fireplace & chimney. The scope of a Level II inspection includes that of the Level I inspection plus the inspection of accessible portions of your attics, crawl spaces, and basements. It may also include a performance test such as a smoke test or a pressure test and possibly an interior fireplace & chimney video inspection if recommended by our technician.
LEVEL III INSPECTION
When a Level I or Level II inspection suggests a hidden hazard and the evaluation cannot be performed without access to concealed areas, a Level III inspection is recommended. This type of inspection confirms the proper construction and condition of concealed portions of your fireplace & chimney structure as well as its flue. Level III inspections are generally necessary when investigating an incident that has caused damage to the fireplace, chimney, building, or where a hazard is detected and suspected.